Τετάρτη 10 Μαΐου 2017

Customer service jobs and introverts..The horror!


From all the tough jobs out there, I would probably pick the ones that require customer service, as the worst. Even cleaning stairs and floors and working at a construction seem more pleasant and way less..annoying.

You may think that I classify customer service jobs like that because I'm an introvert. Well yes that's one of the main reasons I guess. From what I've seen and heard from other introverts on the web and in my daily interractions, it does seem like most introverts have a rough time with such jobs. 

It's not a matter of shyness, bitchyness or asociality (although I do fall on all three of them at times lol). It's mostly an introversion kind of thing. 

Introverts are known to be extremely picky when it comes to those they will hang out with. We despise fake 'friendships' or interractions and we have a very hard time tolerating people and situations that overwhelm us in a negative way.

To put it simply, while an extrovert can easily put up a facade and act like they have a great time with someone they don't really like or enjoy, an introvert will very soon be exhausted by the effort to seem polite and pleasant. 

So take this effort, multiply it by 20 and add the customer service job environment.  

What will it give you?

The horror. The absolute, merciless, detestable horror. I'm not even exagerrating.




Introverts will get me. At least most of them, I think. There is a group of introverts called 'extroverted introverts' who seem to have better socialization tolerance so those people might not really relate to this. 

I work at a customer service environment. Not out of choice. But rather because I had no choice. 

The economy is very unstable and doubtful where I live, jobs shrink and shrink and shrink to a select few who have the hope of earning stable money and the amount of young unemployed people gets bigger every month. 

I had dreams about my future work life, like most of us do when we're still in school. Then crisis happened. I had to pick a profession that would guarantee me a chance of having a job in the next years. Any other doubtful choice had to fly out of the window. So I made a choice..I graduated and after a while I got this job. 

Don't get me wrong, I was more than grateful for being hired and having an income in my pocket. I still am. 

But when you are constantly forced to work on a job you neither like nor get any mental growth or joy from, there's only so much someone can take before having enough. 

Customer service jobs are my absolute working nightmare. I don't get just exhausted. 

I actually feel suffocated.

Frustrated, depressed and suffocated because I know damn well I'm not working on any of my true potential or talent.

For introverts, these jobs can do more harm than good. It can get us all worked up, bitchy, snarky and frustrated. Having to constantly perform theatrics in every single customer interraction we have, having to continuously smile like a clown just to be pleasant and always having to do your best to keep others satisfied (something I'm fast becoming allerging to), is messing up with our mood, our mental health and our life in general. 

Hence why introverts are always looking for introvert-suitable jobs. 

People all around you will constantly try to make you feel as if you *have* to try extroverted jobs or *get used to them* just because all extroverts do so as well.

Don't listen to other people's advices unless you actually feel that they are genuinely helpful for your mental health and life. 

Don't pretend. If a work environment feels too much or a bit too ''toxic'' for you, then that's your bright neon red sign that you need to get out as fast as you can.

Are you stuck there for obligatory financial, emotional or family reasons? Then try to come up with quirky ideas to escape and quietly and secretly plan your escape in your mind before you make any decision. 

Our lives are short. The least we can do is to make sure they are well lived. And by 'well lived' I don't mean the extrovert conventional stereotype that wants people to be out wasting themselves drinking and doing a bunch of other weird stuff just to 'feel' something. 

People can give you advices on how to live your life as much as they want, but in the end, the only way to live your life well is the one that fulfills you, not them. So make sure to live your life to your greatest and fullest, doing things you love and enjoy.

Your mental health and harmony is way more important than any work ''experience''. 



~A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads, lives only one.~

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου